Monday, February 2, 2009

Learning to walk

The first three of four days, I had a regimented schedule of eating something every 2-3 hours to avoid sea-sickness. At the same time, I was trying to bring myself onto my ship schedule (working midnight to noon). Despite trying the Dramamine thing, I agree with my friend Patrick who says that the only way to prevent sea-sickness is to keep your stomach full; thus the gluttony. This seemed to be the only thing that worked, and I was a little concerned that I was going to gain a lot of weight from eating so much. Fortunately, the need for food seems to be passing, and I'm now eating regular meals... although I can't seem to pass up the ice-cream that is readily available at all times in the mess!

Walking on the boat is an entirely different story. I'm already pretty clumsy on land - regularly walking into walls and doors. The first couple of days on a boat were about twenty times worse. Imagine trying to open a heavy door and walk through while carrying a cup of coffee on a boat swaying from side to side. Then imagine being as graceful as me, and that should give you an idea of why I keep finding new bruises all over my arms and legs. After about a week of walking into walls and getting squashed in doors, I am becoming more agile, or at least I'm not worried about falling down the stairs anymore. I'm hoping that I might have finally gotten these "sea-legs" that everyone talks about!


My home on the boat! Left: My room (I got a zebra-print comforter)!
Right: Our common room

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers